Monday, June 30, 2014

Don't forget the diaper bag

It was just going to be a short trip. Take Brennan to work, drop him off, drive home. Easy peasy, short, no diaper bag needed.

That last sentiment should never enter into my thoughts.

We dropped Brennan off at work without incident. I noted that it was 9:05, only 25 minutes until my optometrist's office opened. I've been using the same contacts for about 4 months and finally gave them the heave-ho into the garbage can so I wanted to go and pick up more. I've been meaning to do this for months but just hadn't gotten around to it.

I realized I would need to keep the kids happy for 20 minutes until they opened so I did what all good mothers do: I got them junk food (Timbits for the win!) to hold them over. Timbits secured, I drove to the optometrist's office, let the kiddos polish off their poison, and then proceeded to get them out of their car seats once it hit 9:30.

Commence reason for needing a diaper bag

Emilia had a diaper blow out. I don't think this has happened for almost a year so I was completely unprepared...and diaper bag-less.

I considered just turning around. Go home, change diaper and clothes, come back, call it good. But I know Amy Isaksen Cartwright. As soon as she walks through that front door, getting everyone back into the car is far more work than she has energy for.

Thankfully, I do keep babywipes in the car at all time. I stripped her down, wiped her up, and then debated my bad mother decisions: be that who runs inside quickly while leaving the kiddos in the car or take a naked toddler into the optometrist. But then {Ahhh-ahhhhh! singing from the heavens}, I see my woven wrap in the car. If I throw her on my back in a wrap, no one will even know she's naked. Sure, she could pee all down my back in a short trip, but it was worth the risk to end the baby ripping my glasses off my face and/or stinging eyes from old contacts.

Like a boss, I got her up on my back, good and covered her nakedness (which was probably preferable for the little gal. It was a little chilly today), and took the kids into the optometrists office...

Only to discover that it's a long weekend and they are closed.


No comments:

Post a Comment