Sunday, September 25, 2011

A trip to Banff and some surprising news

You maybe have already seen the photos on Facebook but I figured they deserve a place on the family blog!  Last Saturday, one of Brennan's managers took us up to Lake Louise in Banff as a thank you to Brennan for being such a stellar worker this busy season (I married a good one, huh?!).  His manager has also started dabbling in photography and took some pretty good pictures for us.



Just walking around Canmore which is a town just outside of the park.  
I think Hyrum was the only one who knew Gabby was taking a picture.


Super fancy-schmancy hotel located right on Lake Louise.  
Apparently Queen Elizabeth has some super special room here where she stays when she visits.


Here is one of the cutest thing that Hyrum does now: He copies the faces and sounds that we make.  If I make a high sound, he'll make a high sound.  If I make a low sound, he'll do the same thing.  Here he's practising scrunching his nose like Mummy and Daddy.


Posing for a picture on the lake.  Hyrum finally conked out and took a nap while we hiked.


Have I ever mentioned that I love our baby carrier?  It's a Beco and Hyrum seriously loves the thing.  Maybe almost as much as I do.


The mountains, the mist over the lake, the calm waters in the background.  This place is seriously gorgeous.  Let us know if you want to visit!


Hyrum wanted to face out for a little while so Brennan put him in his coat while we walked around.  Hyrum definitely thought that was a fun idea.


Oh yeah!


Hyrum's "Concerned" face.  Maybe it's because he knew two little German women were about to accost us and tell us we were terrible parents for not having a hat on him.  Here's the thing...he takes it off!!!  He used to be really good about leaving it on but now he seriously considers it his personal challenge to see how quickly he can remove it from his head.  And so the little German women went back to their country thinking we abuse our children in Canada but if figure if he was freezing, he would leave it on!


Isn't he such a happy little guy?


Enjoying himself in the great outdoors!


Gabby thought it might be fun to take one of the canoe rides out on the lake.  I was a little sceptical considering the thought of trying to entertain Hyrum in a boat for an hour, especially when it was pretty close to nap time, did NOT sound like a fun idea.  Boat--yes, screaming baby--no.  In any case, we thought we'd at least see if he fit in the baby life jacket.  It was a quite snug but the next size up was far too big.  Mostly he just fought the thing the whole time so Mummy won.  No long canoe trip with the baby.


By the way, did I mention we took this trip in Gabby's Mini Cooper?  For ya'lls reference, you really can put a car seat and three adults in one of those things.  I was pretty impressed!


So, here's for the surprising news.

Hyrum had a check-up and a couple of vaccines on Friday.  While we were there they weighed him, measured him, and showed me where he was on the growth charts.  Now, before I go any further, I've never been terribly concerned about Hyrum and I'm sure you can see why.  The fellow does not appear to be starving in the least.  His little ankle and wrist rolls definitely show that.  

So, here's the stats on the little guy:

Height: 28 inches, 50th percentile
Weight: 19 lbs 13 oz, 50th percentile

Maybe this is silly but that totally surprised me!  As much as we call him our big/little chunk, apparently he's just an average sized baby, which is totally okie dokie with us.  Just surprising!  In fact, I told our neighbour (who has a 10-month old baby) and she exclaimed, 
"WHAT?  So, what does a 90th percentile baby look like?!"

Also surprising was that he took his vaccines like a champ! During the first one he kind of gave the nurse a look like she had offended him but he did cry for a second as she gave him the second one.  However, after a quick nursing session he we wiggling around, smiling and giggling like nothing even happened.  A lady even commented in the waiting room that we must be pre-shot because he was far too happy.  Way to go, little buddy!

In other silly news, we left Hyrum with our friends for a few hours on Friday night while we went to go test drive a car.  Because it was a bit last minute and I didn't have any stored breast milk, I ran to the store to get some formula in the case that he really wanted a milk feeding while we were out.  Well, apparently my "lactivism" has rubbed off on Hyrum.  The child who will eat or drink just about anything (seriously!) would not even touch the bottle of formula.  I think he must have thought I was sincere when I jokingly called formula poison (I don't really believe it's poison...I just really like breastfeeding).  Well, here's to hoping I don't die before he weans.

On the car front: still no car, but hopefully we're making progress.  The hope is to have one within the next few weeks.  Imagine this: no more bumming rides, no more taking the bus, and no more using the stroller as a shopping cart.  The world is about to get pretty amazing!

1 comment:

  1. My brother's kids are all 90th percentile kids in weight and height. It has sort of skewed my sense of what is normal. I often meet 6 year-olds and think they are 4.

    ReplyDelete