Monday, July 25, 2011

Just another week

Nothing terribly exciting to report. Busy season has hit the US tax practice at PWC so Brennan has been working later hours. I almost forgot how nice it was to have a husband who worked 9am-5:30pm and got Saturdays and Sundays off. Now it's about 9am-8 or 9pm plus a bus ride home...and this is just the START! September 15th, you will arrive. You will arrive.

Hyrum is at such a cute stage right now. I feel like I say that all the time. I think every stage is my favorite. He's learning so many fun, new things right now. This last week I noticed that he's really starting to copy the things that we do. I kind of made a high sighing sound after yawning and he responded with a high sighing sound as well. I also discovered that if I shake my head "yes" he'll shake his head as well. Granted, it's a "no" shake but I think he's trying to do a "yes" but just can't do it yet. For now, I just keep telling him that both mean "yes" :)


Our good little eater has also made a few preferences known: Cantelope, cheese, and steak. Yup, steak. It's probably by far his favorite food EVER. Good thing it's the one thing here that compares well to US prices. There are lots of cows in Alberta... And apparently, sucking on it and extracting the juices gives him a lot of iron. Way to go little buddy!




But, when steak is not available, human flesh will work too.


Play time has also become even more exciting. Hyrum has become remarkably "handy." It's so much fun to watch him study different toys, what it can do, how they can stack, etc. I never understood why those stacking rings were so fun but Hyrum seems to love them. He's also started to throw toys and then go back and pick them up again. I don't know what's so dang cute about it but it has been a blast watching him learn new things and figure out cause and effect.



No crawling yet (slight sigh of relief!...once the kid can move, nothing is safe anymore!!!) but Hyrum has started to scoot around on his tummy which is super cute. Thus far he's mastered the circle. One moment he'll be playing with something and then the next he'll have made a 180-degree turn. I guess we'll see if he ever gets up on his hands and knees. Apparently his mommy here never truly crawled--just did the combat crawl but I guess we'll see. I do love the thought of having that cute little bum in the air.





I almost hate to post this for fear of jinxing myself, but...Hyrum has been sleeping a lot better at night these days. He'll still nurse once or twice, but from everything I've looked into, that's normal and healthy throughout the first year of life. Only thing is that now he wakes up a little earlier. While he used to sleep until 8am or 8:30am, 6:30-7am have become the new norm. At first I thought, "bah! Kid! Please sleep in later!!!" but the past few days I've realized that it's a perfect opportunity to go running! So, now Mommy and Hyrum both get up and out the door by about 7:30am for a jog. Since we're starting out slow, we'll run for about 25-30 minutes and then come home for some breakfast and then meet our neighbor for a 45-60 minute walk. Mommy's had to adjust her bedtime a little, bit but for the most part, it's been great! Here's hoping she finds (a hopefully smaller) pre-pregnancy Mommy soon with all of that exercising.

Well, that's about it folks. Here's hoping you have a great week!



1 comment:

  1. wow, busy season in July?! oh man! and Hyrum is growing so much! what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete