Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A chubster in the making

Like every breastfeeding mom, I was worried that my baby wasn't getting enough to eat. In the hospital he lost 10 ounces in the first two days so I was ridiculously worried. Counting every messy diaper and every ounce of spit-up, I started to wonder if I was going crazy. I was especially worried about little Hyrum because there have been a number of times when he has seriously thrown up entire meals. I start worrying about what I'm eating...is there something that is upsetting his tummy? Does he have reflux? Is he getting enough to sustain him?

Then came the two-week check-up and evidently Hyrum's doing just fine. In fact, he gained almost an entire pound (15.5 ounces) in the last two weeks. As for the spitting up entire meals? The pediatrician thinks he's actually OVER eating and that I should be sure to keep him upright for at least 20-30 minutes after each feeding to make sure it moves through his little tummy before lying him down. So yeah, be on the watch for a rolly-polly baby here in the next few weeks!

4 comments:

  1. wow, that's a big gain for two weeks! congrats!
    our pediatrician recommended that we never lie Joshua down flat, so we have a towel under the bassinet mattress to make it slanted. The only downside is that means he slowly slides down into his blankets as he sleeps, but it's not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!!! Good job Mommy and Hyrum! I over-fed Gracie in the beginning because she would throw up a lot too. But you figure it out, and eventually they just come off when they're full. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you missed that part in all the prep for baby that mentions they lose up to a pound right after birth. Swelling/water weight, ect. is what makes them lose the weight. Nothing to worry about at all. First time mom's are so funny. I remember obsessing over everything. It's really tiring. Just go with the flow and he'll let you know how he is doing. You are doing just fine. Try not to worry too much! You'll drive yourself crazy. And a crazy mommy is not a happy mommy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, it's true. I was a bit of a worrier. I actually was fine with the whole weight thing until the pediatrician told me that was quite a bit for the first two days. That combined with no diapers in almost 24 hours and the hospital staff started getting worried so of course I went from being fine to being a wreck in about two seconds.

    ReplyDelete